Each of us approaches the children in our lives energetically. Whether we acknowledge it or not, we bring to parenting, teaching or caretaking our unique energetic style. Observe yourself and ask yourself a few questions.
- When I’m playing with my child is my focus solely on the activity at hand? If so, you may be more of an “earthy” type, well grounded and detail oriented you use time with your child to model through doing.
- Do I use my interaction primarily as an opportunity to physically or emotionally connect? Then you may be more “watery” and effusive in nature where connection is primary.
- Is my focus more about competing or collaborating? This approach is more “fire” driven and is typical of those creative souls who are motivated by the “fire in their belly.”
- Do I fill the time together with lots of conversation and spontaneous activity? You may be more of the free spirit “airy” type.
- Do I spend my time explaining carefully the logic or reason behind the activity making it an educational or motivational moment? Then you are more likely an “etheric” type who uses higher reasoning to transcend the challenges of life.
The better you know yourself, the more easily you will be able to use this knowledge to better understand your child and interpret their behaviors.